About Karmel Larson
Meet Mama Karmel…
Karmel Larson is a wife, mother, entrepreneur, community leader, blogger and a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Affectionately known by her family as “Mama Karmel”, she is an advocate for strengthening families and a true “Mama Bear” when it comes to defending children. She and her husband Brigham are equal partners in raising and homeschooling their 7 children, 6 boys and one girl, ages 13-2.
With a desire to “change the world”, Karmel worked for many years at the Center for Women and Children in Crisis and as a Spanish speaking social worker for the Provo School District and Utah Child Protective Services. Raised with a family background in real estate and investing, she also became a licensed Realtor in 2008. Her focus shifted to music in 2009, supporting her husband, Brigham’s professional talents. Together they lead their family in running Brigham Larson Pianos and Utah Piano Conservatory as a united force to accomplish their family mission to “Facilitate Positive Musical Experiences for Families”.
Karmel craves high quality education for her own development, expanding the world of her children and becoming a more effective resource to God and the world. Currently obtaining her MBA, Karmel has her sights set on a Doctorate in Leadership. She graduated from Brigham Young University with a degree in Social Work and a minor in Business Management. She is also currently pursuing the Cornell University Plant-Based Nutrition Certification in her quest to more fully understand the science behind the benefits of whole food plant based eating.
Karmel has been an advocate of homeschool for a decade. Her greatest joy in motherhood is to sit and teach her children, having them all gathered around her sharing in educational and spiritual discovery. She founded Family Leadership Academy in 2012 and Zion Youth Academy in 2015, both thriving homeschool groups providing whole family educational opportunities. Karmel also founded Home Education Leader Partnership of Utah (HELP Utah) in 2015, a statewide organization uniting the homeschooling leaders of Utah.
Karmel loves the Lord and loves to serve him in any capacity. She currently serves as the Wolf Den Leader, weekly teaching her own 8 year old and 13 other scouts. Her former opportunities to serve have included an 18 month mission to Malaga, Spain, nursery leader, primary teacher, Relief Society President and Gospel Doctrine Sunday School teacher.
An outspoken advocate for strengthening and defending families, Karmel was selected in 2009 to serve as Mrs. Utah, United States. She shared her platform, “Declare Decency”, with leaders across the state, promoting the White Ribbon Campaign and “WRAP Week” training to PTA Presidents (White Ribbon Against Pornography or Internet Safety Week) and community leaders. She champions the cause of strengthening families as the host and founder of “HUB nights”, monthly in Utah Valley, uniting various organizations, serving families, together in one location to share mission and message.
Karmel knows that organizing and educating mothers and couples, improves individual lives and families. She has been mentored by many great leading citizens as she has had opportunity to serve in a multitude of leadership roles and capacities listed below.
- 2015-Founder of Home Education Leader Partnership of Utah (HELP Utah)
- 2015-Present Chairman of Zion Youth Academy
- 2006-Present, American Mothers, Inc. of Utah Valley Chapter
- President 2006-2015
- President of the Utah Valley Board 2015
- Young Mother of the Year, Utah Valley 2007
- 2012-Present, President, Plant Strong Families of Utah Valley
- 2012-2013 Founder and President of Family Leadership Academy
- 2012-2013, President, Power of Moms Learning Circle Chapter
- 2009-2010, Mrs. Utah United States
- 2009-County Liaison for Citizens for Families
- 2009-2013, County Director, Parents’ Television Council, Utah County Chapter
- 2012-2013, President, Women for Decency of Utah Valley Chapter
- 2007-United Way’s Partners for Infants and Children Committee
- 2007-Founder & President, Entrepreneurial Couple’s Network of Utah Valley
- Currently Enrolled – MBA Fitchburg State University
- Currently Enrolled – Cornell University Plant-Based Nutrition Certificate
- 2012-Present – Certified Kindermusik Instructor
- 2012-2013 – Licensed Let’s Play Music Teacher
- 2012-Present – Certified Recreational Music Making Group Piano Teacher for Way Cool Keyboarding and Adult Musical Moments
- 2006 – Licensed Real Estate Agent, “Rookie of the Year”
- 2000 – BSW-Bachelor of Social Work
- 2010-Present, National Association of Musical Merchants (NAMM)
- 2008-Present, Piano Technicians’ Guild Auxiliary Member & Magazine Contributor